CI Activation

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Sometimes You Just Gotta Plow the Corn

I have to admit that I've been in a rut lately. Not a huge, you need to be put on medication kind of rut but, a rut nonetheless. I think that it might be due to the extremely cold weather here in Texas this year. We've had several snow days and a couple of days with almost a foot of snow. Wait a minute! We live in Fort Worth, it doesn't snow like this in Fort Worth. Well, below is a picture to prove it.




Maybe I've been in a funk because I sprained my back or maybe because we have all just been a little under-the-weather in our house or maybe it is because I'm turning 39 tomorrow. I don't truly know the root cause or causes. I can just tell you that I've been a little melancholy for the past few weeks.

Every time that I've thought about sitting down to write a blog post, I've simply found an excuse not to do it...the dishes need to be done, the clothes need to be washed, I need to take a shower, I need to make a list of all the sh*t that I need to do, etc. So as I proceed to do all the other things in my life and ignore my blog, I've been thinking of a phrase that a relatively new friend said a couple of weeks ago...'sometimes you just gotta plow the corn.' She is obviously from Nebraska and that kind of phrase is part of her normal language. As for me, I had to think about it a little bit. Heck, I'm from Arkansas and we don't plant corn -- we marry our cousins but, don't plow corn (sorry if I just offended anyone from Arkansas with this comment).

So, I've been thinking about it and the entire concept of planting a field for harvest. It made me think of our little man. While I sometimes struggle with all the appointments, school trips, and therapy here at home, I must realize that I'm preparing his field for harvest. His harvest is listening and speaking. So, I plant my corn...my corn for Thomas.

Thomas has put on his planting boots, is digging and placing his seeds, and is ready for his field to grow (I'm calling these crazy green boots his planting boots).



Now all I have to do is suck it up, put on my overalls and my planting boots, and get to back to work on his corn field because...sometimes you just gotta plow the corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment