CI Activation

Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Correlation Between Sensory Integration & Mapping

On Tuesday of this week, we headed to our audiologist's office for an eSRT test. I didn't quite understand that the test has to be performed when the child is still -- good luck trying to get a 2-year old to sit still with a probe in his ear!

Well, after we got Thomas calmed down and helped him understand that we were not going to make new ear molds (which he absolutely HATES!), we began the test. Thank God above because Sean joined me for the test and Thomas sat on his lap quite happily during the test. I say happily, which isn't exactly true. We had a DVD player going with Thomas the Take Engine, Thomas and I made a game out of putting about 25 gold fish crackers one-by-one into his water bottle and ultimately I let him play with my iPhone...but, we completed the test. Again, thank God above!

So, here is what we learned. His sensory integration issues did, in fact, increase his pain threshold and that virtually all of his electrodes had too much power. The Med-el rep, that we met at our initial stimulation, was also there with Ms. Bari, our audiologist. The rep was asking me questions about how Thomas reacted to his CI and questioned if he ever resisted putting it on. I answered the questions honestly with a resounding, no. Thomas has never really resisted his CI. I think that it may have surprised her because his map was too powerful...this goes to show that sensory integration challenges can definitely impact the map. The most encouraging message of the session was when Ms. Bari looked at us and said that this new map should provide Thomas with more clarity...again, can I thank God above! We have such an awesome team working with Thomas!

Since the change in map, Thomas seems more relaxed, less anxious. He babbles a lot more and has begun to say more words open-mouthed -- okay, I have to prompt him to do so. However, I can't expect changes overnight. Even today, his teacher at the Hearing School of the Southwest said that he remained engaged during the entire class and when required to do so said words back with an open-mouth. They even had to drag him away from the finger painting activity, which says so much about how far he has come with the sensory issues with his hands. Wow!

Finally, one last thanks to God above...Your hand was definitely felt this week. Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. I find this VERY interesting. Aiden does have some sensory integration issues as well ... along with a list of other OT/PT issues. I really wonder if Aiden's map is too loud and the clarity is off. Aiden too always seems very anxious, not able to attend to a task for even short periods of time (unless it's watching Elmo). I'm so glad you have such a wonderful team for Thomas! We really do need to catch up! Hugs! love you!

    ReplyDelete