CI Activation

Monday, December 7, 2009

A New Test Tomorrow

As a parent, you remember all the tests that have been performed on your child. With Thomas we have done numberous ABRs, OAEs, sedated ABRs/OAEs, booth tests, swallow studies, upper GIs, etc. Tomorrow, we head to our audiologist's office for an eSRT. So in case you are like I was a few days ago, you may be asking yourself...what the heck is an eSRT. Well the definition that I found is:

Electrical stapedius reflex test (ESRT): An objective measure that can be useful in establishing a most comfortable level in children with cochlear implants who are unable to provide feedback to the audiologist about the loudness of sound. A small probe is placed in the opposite ear. The stimulation level of the implant is increased until a small muscle reflex is seen in the opposite ear. This muscle reflex is present in most people and occurs at a level that is loud, but still comfortable.

We are hoping that this test will confirm that Thomas' map is exactly where it needs to be. While I trust our audiologist to the Nth degree, she recommended that we do this test given Thomas' issue with closed-mouth speaking and the potential for a higher than normal pain threshold due to his sensory integration challenges. She may be humoring me...which is probably what is happening because she can read Thomas literally like an open book, both in and out of the booth. However, I simply appreciate her offering this test as an opportunity to potentially optimize Thomas' map.

So as I sit here tonight and worry about tomorrow, let me just tell you about Ms. Bari. When I look back on the last two years of Thomas' journey, I think of three people that have made a huge difference in Thomas' life...Dr. B (his surgeon), Ms. Becky and Ms. Bari. Ms. Bari has been with me as I cried and grieved almost every single change in Thomas' hearing. Every, single, solitary time that I've seen her, she makes me feel that she cares so much for Thomas. She answers my crazy emails before hours, after hours, on weekends and even when she is suppose to be on vacation. She is so dedicated to her patients and their parents. She has that calm voice that makes you feel better and those caring eyes that let you know that everything will be okay. I know that she wants Thomas to succeed... she wants him to hear and speak...but I feel most of all that she wants Thomas to be happy. Without Bari, I don't know whether or not Thomas would be where he is today.

So on the eve of a new test, "hear" is to Ms. Bari. She is one of Thomas' angels here on earth...and we are so very blessed to have her in our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment