CI Activation

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Christmas Vacation

So, we took a two week hiatus from focused therapy here at the house for the holidays. We let Thomas relax, play and enjoy Christmas. On the 23rd, we left warm Texas and ventured to see my family for Christmas. The cold hit Arkansas with a vengeance. So, our family had its first white Christmas together.

My father is the eldest of eight children, a very large Catholic family. Ever since I was very little, Christmas Eve has always held a special place in my heart because this is the night that everyone comes together to celebrate. This year was no exception. My sister and I kind of forced my mom into hosting this year's celebration...boy was it fun for everyone. My aunt, Debbie, and a family friend, Frank, brought a keyboard and guitar to play Christmas carols. You can see Thomas in the picture below dancing to the music.



Thomas got lots of fun toys to use during therapy and several "fun only" toys, too. On Christmas day, we went to my grandmother's house on my mom's side of the family for more holiday fun. Thomas quickly found my grandfather's electric organ and started playing.



One of my biggest worries of Thomas getting a CI was that he wouldn't be able to enjoy music. As you can see by these pictures, he loves music; he gravitates to it.

When we returned home, the installers showed up to put together the wooden play set that Sean, his parents and I got for the kids this year. We got this because, when Thomas had his sensory integration evaluation, the therapist said that swings and climbing equipment could help with building his core muscles and help with his stability challenges. It has also given me the opportunity to actively use language to explain what Thomas is doing as well as reinforce language he already expresses. As you can see, Thomas loves the play set very much.



After all this craziness and taking some time off from therapy, Thomas did some great things the other day to show me that he was still learning during our AVT vacation. He is actively saying:

Open door and open box
More
Cracker
Want that
Turn on choo, choo

He has also begun to try to sing the "Clean Up Song" and is getting the words "thank you" correct occasionally. After our ENT removed a HUGE amount of wax from both ears earlier this week, he was more "chatty" (as Ms. Becky so appropriately put it) and is speaking with a more opened-mouth. He is working on the concept of choosing between toys and activities. Of course, he wants to do anything that incorporates trucks, cars, trains, balls and anything that he sees as destructive -- such the boy!

I think that my very favorite memory from Christmas vacation was this...when we arrived in Arkansas my family came out of the house to welcome us literally with open arms. We all hugged each other and my family looked down at Thomas. He walked up and gave almost everyone a hug (preferring to hug the woman over hugging the men). Funny how one can become so obsessed with wanting our HoH and deaf children to listen and speak. When a movement of love can actually render one completely speechless.

Thank you so much to our family and friends for helping us celebrate the birth of our Father. Thanks to Thomas' audiologist, cert AVT, doctors and teachers for making 2009 a year to remember, truly monumental. 2010 will begin with more audiology appointments, more verbal therapy sessions, more school days and the addition of occupational therapy. After a great Christmas vacation, Thomas and I are ready for the challenge and prepared for lots of time running from appointment to appointment.

3 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas from Lotte.. another fan of the piano..
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures, it's funny,we got pics of Evan sitting at the piano with his cousin over Christmas break! I am so amazed how he loves to listen to music too. It's great to read about Thomas and his progress! I wish you and your family a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year my dear friend!! I am so glad you all had such a wonderful vacation home for the holidays and a well deserved break from all the appointments! I'll call you soon!

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete