CI Activation

Monday, January 18, 2010

The Kindness of Strangers

Our family is enjoying a long weekend together filled with lots of playtime for the kids. We went to breakfast at Sidney's favorite place, Ol' South Pancake House, this morning. As we sat at a booth by the front door, Thomas was standing up on the seat and greeting virtually all the people with a wave and his version of "Hi -- ii-ee."

Yes, we got the typical stares and looks of pity. However, one older woman stopped by to talk with Thomas. She leaned over the half wall and began to tell us about her grandson who also has a CI. This is how the short conversation went:

She said, "Oh, my grandson has one of those."

I said, "Awesome, do you mean a cochlear implant or hearing aid."

She said, "An implant. He was born deaf and is now older."

I said, "That's great."

She said, "These kids just have to work harder than everyone else."

I said, "You're right. They do work harder & Thomas is working very hard, too."

She said, "Don't worry, he'll be just fine (referring to Thomas)."

I then smiled & she was on her way to have a huge southern breakfast. I thought to myself...you know, Thomas is going to be just fine. Yes, he will work harder than other kids to listen and speak, but he'll make it. I then smiled inwardly and felt a sense of calm all due to the kindness of this one particular stranger.

No comments:

Post a Comment