CI Activation

Thursday, February 9, 2012

It's Official: We're Moving

I've been putting off writing about this for several weeks now. I guess because I feel that if I write it here then it is OFFICIAL. And so it is...we're moving...just about 10 minutes away but, we still have to do all the "moving stuff" that drives my husband crazy. Cleaning out, staging, getting things around the house fixed that we have been living with because we could, until now. In fact as I type this post, I have a plumber in the house fixing a few bathroom issues (no poop jokes please:-).

You know, I always thought that we would make the decision to move based on Thomas' needs. I never thought that Sidney would actually be the driving force behind our decision. Well, Sidney will be entering 5th grade next year (sigh!) and is zoned to attend a "technology-driven/experimental" junior high. Just the word "experimental" when it comes to my children gives me the heebie-jeebies.

There are two reasons for Sidney that this school is wrong for her. Hence, our move. First, fourth grade has been somewhat of a struggle for her, math and writing specifically. She needs more help than the mythical typical child. We don't think that this new environment would help her, quite the opposite. She needs the structure of a traditional classroom. Second, I honestly think that there is a HUGE difference between a 5th grader and an 8th grader. Sidney is sweet, shy (at times) and tender-hearted. I think that 8th graders would eat her for lunch!

I know that I may sound like the over-protective mother. I accept that fact and embrace the knowledge that I only have 10 more years of her in our house and under my wing. I think that this is the best choice for her...my mama gut tells me so.

We are also considering Thomas' educational future as we make this move. Our school district advocate sent me a list of Keller elementary schools that have experience and SUCCESS with oral hearing impaired/deaf kiddos. So, this list helps us narrow down the search for a house, too. Also, I'd like for Thomas to be further away from the bus barn and closer to his current oral preschool, simply to reduce the busing time for him.

So please, keep us in your prayers as we try to sell our house in a down market, buy a house in the right area for the kids (with a pool) and keep our marriage together because my husband strongly dislikes this whole process and change in general. If you know of anyone looking for a house in west Keller, please give me their name/number. We should officially be on the market in early- to mid-March. Hoping to be off the market in late-March (haha -- I know that I need to be more realistic!).

1 comment: