CI Activation

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Perspective

Like most parents with a special needs child, I sometimes get down in the dumps. Woe is me, woe is Thomas...the world is simply unfair. Why does my child have to be hearing impaired? Why is God choosing to challenge Thomas and me? Then frustration sets in centering around how other "normal" two year old children can put short sentences together while my "special" child works so hard to say a single word to me.

Normally, God comforts me to make me feel better or gives me strength to face the challenges before me. Sometimes, however, He gives me a slap across the face and says, "Girl, you better realize that I gave you a gift. Nourish your son and be thankful that I have given you what you have!" Well last night and this morning, He hit me so hard that I cried.

You see, last night I walked in the Candlighters' 5K in downtown Fort Worth. This organization supports families of children battling cancer. I saw children there that are in the middle of their battle and they were surrounded by loved ones. I walked the little over three miles with my friend, Sheri. We talked about stuff, nothing really important. At the end, off we went to resume our lives.

This morning I received an update from my friend, Matthew, about Hayden, his son. Hayden is a five year old boy battling cancer and he is about to get on a plane bound for San Francisco to try a treatment to get rid of the one remaining spot of cancer. Hayden has been through countless surgeries, chemo, etc. He has been physically built up simply to be knocked down again by this horrible disease. His parents are amazing individuals with strong spirits and a true love for each other and their family. They have faced so many challenging days that I simply don't understand how they keep going. And through all of this, their faith in God has been strengthened.

So, if you are reading this blog and you believe in the power of prayer, please stop what you are doing and say a prayer for Hayden. Please pray for "no evidence of disease" following this latest round of treatment. Pray for continued strength for his parents, Matthew and Lizzie.

As for me, I will add more prayers thanking God for slapping me across the cheek to make me appreciate the "special" child that I have. Thomas' fight to listen and speak is no comparison to the struggles that Hayden and his family have been through. The power of this family is so inspiring to me. I hope one day to be as brave, strong and loving as they are. I pray that Hayden, Lizzie and Matthew will walk away from this battle and resume their normal lives. And, I appreciate God giving me perspective on my own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment