CI Activation

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Better People...

This past Friday, Thomas and I went up to Sidney's school for a family picnic...well the picnic was in the hallway because believe it or not, it is cold here in Texas. Okay well, cold for us Southern folk.

Anyway, we got there early and Thomas decided to stroll right into class and take the seat next to his sister. All of her second grade classmates, turned to look at Thomas. They then quickly began to whisper and I knew exactly what they were talking about. They were saying, "What are those things on his ears?" "Is he deaf?" "Can he hear us?"

So, I took a deep breath and strengthened myself for the onslaught of questions. I have to tell you that every single child was respectful, curious, non-judgmental and not at all rude, unlike the many adults that can be so rude while you are simply trying to get your shopping done at Target. You know what I mean...the stares that go on just a few moments too long or the looks of pity.

The children had questions that were so innocent and sweet. One boy even said, "Wow! He has a lot of power on his ears!" Sidney handled all the questions like a trooper, too. She would answer questions so simply, in a matter-of-fact tone and on a level that her peers could understand. Meanwhile, Thomas was running around the room, pulling books off the shelves, pretending to read them and then running off to discover something new.

I thought to myself...why do I worry about how children view Thomas? They are curious, but so accepting at the same time. I simply hope this innocence continues when Thomas starts public school. I love the innocence of children and many times wish that adults still had this trait...wouldn't it make us all better people?

No comments:

Post a Comment