CI Activation

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Need Help...Sensory Integration

I think that I have shed more tears over Thomas in the past two years than I have shed over his sister in seven years. This is not to say that I don't love them equally. It is simply an acknowledgment that Thomas has been heavier on my heart, more challenging from a health perspective, and frankly a little bit more of a "turd" (the term of endearment that his father has labeled Thomas -- another way to say he challenges our limits every single day)."

So today, I cried because I took Thomas in for an OT assessment on his sensory issue with his hands and lack of eating a wide variety of foods. I heard from one of Thomas' AVTs that "waking up" his mouth to texture and flavors might help us get over some of his closed-mouth talking. I admit that I was probably stupid in my narrow-minded thinking that a health care professional would only look at the things that I reported were a problem.

During the two hour assessment, I learned that Thomas has low muscle tone. She didn't reference strength, simply it is a balance/control issue that she sees in him -- he is clumsy and falls more than other kiddos. Also, she said that he seeks vestibular stimulation which is why he is pretty much constantly in motion. That his brain is having trouble seeking "constructive" ways of getting stimulation because he has no fear of the consequences of his actions. She also put something sour in his mouth and he reacted negatively. She was concerned that Thomas didn't use either verbal or non-verbal communication to say what he wanted or needed. I simply talked until I determined what he needed. (please note that I'm reporting what I heard her say and I admit that I was getting emotional as all this was happening).

All in all, she said that we need to work on sensory integration with him. Hence, my tears. I can't imagine another therapy appointment during the week and that the therapy appointment will be one hour in the car each way. He is already struggling with two days of school each week, AVT with Ms. Becky on Fridays and ECI twice a month to work on feeding therapy. Plus add in CI mapping sessions, booth checks for his left ear and AVT therapy with me here at home. Thomas has very little time to be a typical two year old boy...playing, discovering...let alone being able to eat and sleep at normal times. Give him a freakin' break!

So, here are my questions that I need help with:

1. Has anyone else done sensory integration therapy? How does it work? When do you start to see benefit? Is there any end to therapy...what does success look like?

2. Does anyone else have a child with EVA/LVAS with sensory issues -- U know that balance can be an issue, but perspective other than not having fluid in their ears? How did/are you manage these challenges? Is this something that the mind learns to compensate for?

3. I can't find research on the Internet that shows how sensory integration works for kids other than autistic children. Does anyone know of any research that I can read?

4. Is there any way to help incorporate verbal development while working on the other senses? What can I do to help him vocalize more other than the typical words like up, down, inside, go, wee, etc? How do I try to make this therapy more than just about the other senses?

Thanks to anyone/everyone, in advance, for their help and guidance. It has been a very long day for both Thomas and me. He will probably fall asleep in the next two hours due to not having a nap...as for me, I'm thinking chocolate or a glass of wine might help me feel better!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the exact result of our OT evaluation from earlier this year. OT has helped Mari but not as much as I would have liked. Actually that's not true. OT has helped her speech immensely and she did not take off with verbalizing until we began OT. The transformation was amazing. As far as catching up to her peers as far as physical skills, etc, though, we still have a long way to go. I'm glad we did it though, just for the extreme impact it had on our speech therapy work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son is 2 years old and has profound HL in his right ear. I am sorry that Thomas has losed in his left ear. I noticed you said your son was having some problems with his hand. I was wondering what kind of problems? Christian (my son) repetitively claps his right hand. He is getting OT as well for some sensory issues. He seeks visual more then he should at time and seeks out certain tactile textures more than usual as well. I have a blog about my son http://miraclechristian.blogspot.com/
    feel free to read our story if you want.
    I am just like trying to find research about SI that doesn't pertain to autism.

    ReplyDelete