CI Activation

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Mom always knows best, right?

When we decided to pull Thomas out of the Hearing School of the Southwest a year ago, I knew that it was the right thing to do. Well, God had a strong hand (kind of a slap that I needed) in my decision to follow my gut and make some changes for our little man. These changes made a huge difference in his overall development and his receptive/expressive language really took off.

A year later, I find myself not knowing what to do. I almost don't even want to type the words but, I'm not loving Thomas' mainstream preschool teacher (whew, I actually wrote what I've been feeling for weeks now). Last year, we were blessed with an AWESOME, LOVING, THOUGHTFUL and SPECIAL teacher at the same preschool. I can't say the same words about his teacher this year.

I haven't even taken Thomas' FM system to the school yet because I don't get the sense that the teacher wants to be bothered with it. In fact when I was in the classroom last Thursday to help them with Thomas' hearing aid, I said to the teacher that I would be happy to come in with Thomas before or after school to show them exactly how to manage Thomas' technology (I was also going to show them how to use the FM system). The teacher brushed over my offer and changed the subject. Really, really what teacher does that?

Also, Thomas hasn't eaten a full lunch (often times only eating some chips) since he's been in her class this year. She doesn't seem at all worried about this. There are 16, yes 16, three-year olds in Thomas' class. I can only imagine the noise level of the class and with Thomas not having his FM, I'm wondering what he is actually hearing.

I guess the biggest issue is that Thomas isn't as excited to go to his mainstream preschool as he is to attend his auditory/oral preschool. I love his auditory/oral teachers and more importantly, so does Thomas.

So, I've contacted another preschool here in Keller that was recommended by a friend of mine. I'm going to tour it later this week or early next week. I'm sure that there will be a waiting list but, it is potentially better than his current spot.

I just wish that God would give me another slap to make me know for sure that "Mom always knows best!"

1 comment:

  1. mom definitely knows best. I've learned this through and through in this journey. I'm so sorry to hear that a school you loved last year is not working out this year - it goes to tell you, you can have the best program, but not every teacher/therapist/professional is a match for every family. It makes me angry the way she handled the whole thing - like his hearing (or eating) is not important? And it's amazing how we can tell through our little guys if they're happy or not - even at 3. I hope this other preschool/teacher works out for you, but I know if it doesn't, you'll be all over it! Thomas is so lucky to have you (and so is sid!)
    hugs and love! me

    ReplyDelete