CI Activation

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

It's Official: We Lost Our First Implant

So, I was rushed to get the kids in the car because I had to get gas before taking Sidney to her class at church this evening. I get Thomas in his car seat, get gas, arrive at the church and we sit down on the couches outside the sanctuary. I look over at Thomas as he is playing on the couch and notice that there isn't an implant on his right ear. Panic mode sets in...along with the question: how could I be a mom that loses my son's implant? I mean we have had technology on his ears for three and a half years, never losing anything! Gasp (and some bad words that fortunately didn't come out of my mouth at church)!

Here is the conversation with Thomas that occurred:

Me: Thomas, where is your implant?

Thomas: It's on the couch, mom.

I then began to tear the couch apart, cushions, underneath, moved the ottoman, etc.

Me: Thomas, look at me. I need to know where your implant is. Tell me where it is.

Thomas: I told you, remember? It is on the couch.

Me: Well, it isn't here. Let's go check in the car.

Then we get to the car...

Me: Now, Thomas where is your implant? Is it in your car seat? In my purse? In the back seat?

Thomas: Nope.

I rip the car apart. We then we retrace our steps, not finding the implant. Crap! We take Sidney to her class, give hugs and run to the car. Get Thomas buckled in and I race off to the house.

Thomas: Mom, can we listen to the pony song (a song that we got from JTC).

Me: No way! We can't listen to songs until we find your implant. Now Thomas, where is your implant?

Thomas: It's on the couch.

Me: Which couch? The one at home or the couch at church?

Thomas: The couch at home, mom.

Me: Well, I hope so. When we get home you go find it right away.

Thomas: Okay, I will.

We walk in the house. Thomas looks on the little couch (the love seat)...

Thomas: Oh no, mommy! My implant is gone. Where is it?

I look on the big couch and see it sitting right there.

Me: Thomas, your implant is right here on the couch like you said it was. Listen to me. Are you listening?

Thomas: Yes, I'm listening.

Me: Don't ever take your implant off without giving it to me, daddy, your teachers, Kiki, Papa G or Sidney. Do you understand me?

Thomas: Yes, I give my implant to mommy, daddy, Ms. Herring, Ms. Cara, Ms. Sinclair, Ms. Gomez, Kiki, Papa G and Sidney. Okay?

Me: Yes, my sweet boy. That would be great.

Thomas: Okay, let's play now, okay?

Me: Nope, time for bath.

Thomas: Ah man, not yet, please.

Then more negotiation begins about not taking a bath quite yet.

Lessons learned:
Lesson #1: Check his ears, even if you don't have the time to spare.
Lesson #2: Listen to your child, he probably know where their implant is anyway.
Lesson #3: Calm down, don't freak out...this is why we have insurance plans.
Lesson #4: Repeat steps 1-3

3 comments:

  1. Hey see if they have alarm that will alert you when it falls off. It drives me crazy, but it beeps every time its not connected. So I have told everyone, when you hear it beep, get to looking. London know can come tell me that its fallen off, even when I'm sick of hearing the beep. Glad you found it. Whew, I've been in my car a many nights searching and have to wait until my husband comes home to help, because I'm so panicked. We only lost one thus far. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whew. my heart started beating way fast when I was first reading this and I kept saying a prayer in my head, "please Lord, let her find his implant!" whew.

    and btw, I SO miss the "aww man" by that sweet little negotiator of yours! ; ) and how about him memorizing that list of names and repeating it back! he's amazing!

    ReplyDelete