CI Activation

Monday, November 14, 2011

Mom Moment Monday -- AVT with Ms. Becky

Sean took the day off and ventured to our twice a month AVT with the our little man and me. Of course, Ms. Becky had all the Thanksgiving things laid out for us to do together. We had a great session. Thomas was quite the conversationalist, followed 4-step commands (easy commands) and talked to himself as he placed colored feathers on the turkey...explaining where each color went and the order of the steps. It was quite a fun session.

As we played with turkeys, I was struck by the words, "gobble, gobble." I remember last year that I rejoiced when our little man said these 2 simple words in a video that I sent to my family on Thanksgiving morning. This year I give thanks for the fact that he now uses them in a full sentence. I'm thankful that AVT sessions are actually fun now, not at all like the work they once were. I'm thankful for seeing a mom with a baby in the waiting room at Cook that asked me about Thomas and his implant as she placed hearing aids or her sweet child. I'm thankful for the fact that I'm now in a place where I can look another mother in the eye and tell her it will get better and that CIs will make a HUGE difference in her young one's life.

Most of all, I'm thankful for hearing these words from Ms. Becky, "Thomas is doing great...you know he won't be in AVT forever." When we started on this journey with Thomas, I did think that he would be in AVT for most of his young life, with no light at the end of the tunnel. Her words to me today were...gosh, how do I put my feelings into words?...AMAZING, UPLIFTING, REASSURING, NEEDED, COMFORTING and REJUVENATING. What I saw in her eyes as she said these words...LOVE...LOVE...LOVE.

I'm thankful for Ms. Becky, her coaching, her believing in our little man but, most of all her love for Thomas and our family. Not a bad way to start off the "work" week with so many things for which to be thankful...

No comments:

Post a Comment