CI Activation

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Crayons in a Crayon Box




With every new year, it seems like our family makes changes. This January is no exception...two big ones were made. One I'll share about in this post.

I've written previously about how I haven't been head-over-heels in love with Thomas' mainstream preschool. One thing that I've come to trust is my "mama gut" and it was telling me that Thomas wasn't in the right place anymore. So back in October, I got Thomas on the waiting list for a preschool that was recommended to me by a dear friend. You know "that" type of friend that you truly trust to give advice and opinions -- she is an awesome woman! Anyway, the preschool FINALLY had an opening.

I went down to meet the teacher and to talk with the director again earlier this week. I loved the new teacher. She is gregarious, loving, patient and more than anything she really wants Thomas in her class (and yes, she knows that he is hearing impaired). So, Sean and I decided to make the move. I spent about 45 minutes yesterday with the teacher, director and another staff member walking them through Thomas' technology document that I put together, how everything works and what to do in case of a problem. I also took them through the backgrounder that I created for Thomas' IEP meeting. When the teacher saw the photo of Thomas post CI surgery, she started to cry and looked at me with the sweetest eyes...it wasn't sympathy it was empathy in her eyes. It was so cool.

When Thomas got home from his auditory/oral preschool, this was our conversation:

Me: Hey, Thomas. Please come sit down. I want to talk to you about something important.

Thomas: Oh no, do I have to go to timeout.

Me: No sweetie. It is something different that we need to discuss.

Thomas: Oh, okay I'll come sit down next to you.

Me: Do you remember the school that we visited a few months ago? The school where you went into the classroom and made a special new friend very quickly?

Thomas: Yes, I remember it.

Me: Well, how would you like to go to school there instead of Light of the World? Now, you would still go to WA Porter and have Ms. H as a teacher. Does that sound good to you?

Thomas: Oh yes, Mommy. That sounds like a great idea.

Me: Cool, you get to start going to the new school tomorrow. Is that okay?

Thomas: Yes (with grin and excited look on his face)! Thanks Mommy...I love you (then he reached out and gave me a big hug).

I took him to school this morning. He was a little shy at first but, quickly got into the swing of things once he put his backpack, lunch box and folder into the correct places. The teacher introduced him to all the kids in the class. Thomas would say hello, shake their hands and declare that it was nice to meet them. Once circle time began, I was asked to sit at the front of the group and talk with them about Thomas' technology. I have to admit that I stole the idea of talking about differences as with crayons in a crayon box from my friend, Tammy.

I began by saying that everyone is different. Everyone sitting on the rug looks different, just like all the different colors of crayons in a crayon box. No crayon in the same box is the same color. I then asked Thomas to come sit on my lap.

I asked the group this question, "What do you think is different about Thomas?" They all threw out things like his hair is brown, not like mine. His shirt is blue, no one else has a blue shirt on, his shoes are different than mine, etc. Finally after about 5 answers, a little girl in the front row said, "Well, his ears are different." I said, "You are a really observant young lady. His ears are different. Thomas can you show them your aid and implant?" Thomas turns his head and says, "This is my hearing aid." Turns his head to the other side and says, "This is my cochlear implant."

Even though I know that it isn't technically correct to compare the two, I told the class that just like people wear glasses to see, like me (I wore my glasses to the preschool), that Thomas wears his implant and hearing aid because they help him to hear. I got a big, "OH!" from the group. I then asked if anyone had questions. All the hands that were raised were to tell stories about how they had someone in their family that wears glasses or what their favorite color was, etc. They REALLY DIDN'T CARE that he was different. They just accepted him into the class.

As I walked to my car, I thanked the Lord for giving me the "mama gut" feeling to change schools. I thanked Him for such a great start at a new school...and as I drove away...tears of joy streamed down my face.

We are all like crayons in a crayon box...unique...and just like us all...Thomas IS DIFFERENT!

2 comments:

  1. Love this post and I 100% agree that you always have to go with your Mama gut. My preschool director gets teary eyed every time we talk about Noah's progress....which is just further proof that my boys are in the right place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, that gives me shivers! (GOOD shivers!) What a great way to talk with the kids and explain his hearing loss up front. Hope he's really happy there :D

    Julie

    ReplyDelete