CI Activation

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Difficult Start to School

So, the first day of school at the new auditory/oral class at Birdville came and went for Thomas without any issue. Well, I say that but, he completely melted down when he didn't get to ride the bus home with his new friend, Caleb. He clung tightly to Ms. Cara and wouldn't let go. Sean had to pry his arms away and carry him to the car. Other than this, it was a pretty great day for him.

Then Wednesday came...I dropped him off at school and he was excited to ride the bus home from school that day. I was told to expect about an hour for the trip home. An hour came and went...and hour and a half came and went...and at 2-hours after school dismissal Thomas arrived home via the bus. I was in tears when he arrived. He was exhausted and needed to use the bathroom quickly.

I talked to transportation services, sent emails to the teacher, our advocate and the director of the deaf ed program. I was beside myself with concern. I was told by transportation services that Thomas would be home an hour after school released on Friday. I put my faith in their hands and let him ride the bus home again. This time an hour came and went...at an hour and a half, I called the bus barn and was told that Thomas was 15 minutes away...this time came and went...2-hours came and went...and at 2-hours and 35 minutes Thomas arrived home. He was in tears. I was in tears but, more than anything I was completely and utterly angry.

I rapid fired off my emails, left voicemails and was about ready to say, "Screw this! Thomas won't be going back to Birdville." Fortunately though, my bitching paid off and they changed the bus route and only decided to only have elementary and pre-K kids on the bus.

Thomas was hesitant to go to school on Monday but, agreed to go rather than take a nap (twisted mom-driven choices, I know). Thomas was the 3rd child dropped off and as 1-hour post dismissal came...there he was, just as promised. Yahoo! He was still exhausted because he had AVT with Ms. Becky before school, speech during school and regular classwork. So, he was tuckered-out! Mama was happy though to have our little man home at a decent time...it was a difficult start...here is to smoother sailing from this point forward...

1 comment:

  1. Way to go getting those kinks worked out straight away! I hope things mellow out from here!

    ReplyDelete